In-depth information on our investment approach, its intellectual and empiric foundation
Research reports, essays, blog topics, downloads and much more ...
- Our top-down investment approach is complemented by bottoms-up research on selected companies in attractive long-term investment destinations.
- Plus: analyses of pronounced discrepancies between market prices and fair value.
Essays & Features
We have written a number of easy-to-understand and concise papers on key topics relating to our investment strategy.
Below you find a list of these papers plus additional references and links.
A couple of ongoing stories are covered in our blog, with updated information added on a regular basis.
Current top themes are "The UBS Story" and "Degussa Gold"
Bernstein Value Index
Monthly reports on selected publicly traded companies in China and Hong Kong, Russia and Persian Gulf. Industry research on textile & retail companies as well as selected old industry champions.
- Bernstein Value Index Persian Gulf | April 2017
- Bernstein Value Index Russia | March 2017
- Bernstein Value Index China | February 2017
- Bernstein Value Index Persian Gulf | January 2017
- Bernstein Value Index Russia | December 2016
- Bernstein Value Index China | November 2016
- Bernstein Value Index Russia | October 2016
- Bernstein Value Index China | September 2016
- Bernstein Value Index Russia | August 2016
- Bernstein Value Index China | July 2016
- Bernstein Value Index Russia | June 2016
- Bernstein Value Index Russia | September 2015
- Bernstein Value Index Russia | June 2015
Monthly Commodities Updates
Earlier analyses related to option writing strategies in predecessor portfolios of the Managing Partners. That part of our research was discontinued given the more stringent focus of the Bernstein Value & Income Portfolio.
Essays & Features
The Ten Commandments
There are proven, fundamental investment strategies that have worked well in the past and will work well in the future; in that sense there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Our value added are the modernization and yield enhancing features of these strategies. All this is condensed into the following “10 commandments”. Read more...
The Future of Private Banking
Based on the experience managing our own funds we have identified a clear need of both individual and other non-institutional investors to optimize the efficiency and cost structure of their portfolios. In the current low-yield environment management and transaction fees have actually become an ever more deciding factor in the actual net performance of one’s holdings. Read more...
Are you an investor or a speculator?
If you read our curated ten investment commandments, you will get the flavor what in our view makes a good investment and hence a good investor.
What on the other hand is a “speculator”, so commonly and widely blamed for all unwelcome market distortions? Read more...
Diversified Investments and Averaging
The search for answers to the question how, when and where to invest, represents the essence of the term “asset allocation”, commonly used in investment speak. Financial advisors of any type perceive their ability to provide those answers, reflecting on the individual circumstances of the investor, as a key component of their value added. Read more...
Rent or Buy?
Investments & Taxation
Talking briefly about taxation a subject which is quite hard to tackle in general terms. First, it is mainly driven by the country of residence of the investor and then whether he or she holds the assets directly as a private individual and/or in an investment company, trust and the like. How to set this up should be best handled between the investor and the tax advisor involved. Read more...
For more information click here >>
The UBS Story & UBS Deutschland
A blog feature illustrating key aspects of the Swiss and international world of private banks taking the example of the biggest private bank in the world, the UBS Group and UBS Deutschland in particular.
A blog feature illustrating key aspects of investments in physical gold, taking the example of one of the biggest players in that market, Degussa Gold and its main competitors.
We have curated a well-researched and constantly monitored and updated list of external links covering a variety of related topics. You'll find the most important ones presented hereafter.
1. BTG Pactual buys Swiss bank BSI from Generali for $1.7bn - FT - July 14, 2014
2. Goldman muscles in on Europe’s private banks – FT – July 6, 2014
3. Mifid II: Regulatory ‘typhoon’ on course for Europe – FT – October 26, 2014
4. Das Bauchgefühl leitet Anleger in die Irre – NBB – December 27, 2014
5. Asset Allocation’s Greatest Failure: Short-Term Investing - Fiduciary News - June 23, 2015
6. 2 Investing Lessons From Warren Buffett’s Biggest Deal Ever - fool.com - September 28th, 2015
7. Hedge funds suffer worst month since October 2008 - FT - October 6th, 2015
8. Future Billionaires - Forbes - March 1st, 2016
Costs of Private Banking
1. Online wealth managers invade private banks' territory - Financial Times - Oct. 13, 2014
2. HSBC continues banking retreat with sale of Swiss assets to LGT – FT – June 24, 2014
3. BlackRock bleeds $18bn from active equity arm – FT – November 2, 2014
4. Fund managers must stand up and be counted on charges – FT – January 16, 2015
5. Sweden pledges to investigate closet trackers – FT - February 15, 2015
6. Warren Buffett Backs Passive Funds, Should You? - Morningstar - June 8, 2015
7. Donald Trump: "The hedge fund guys are getting away with murder" - Face the Nation - August 23, 2015
Private Banking Preformance